Proof that ‘audiophile’ fuses are worth the cost…?

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: Proof that ‘audiophile’ fuses are worth the cost…?

Post by YNWaN »

Oh, I’ve also got specifically chosen connectors on all my cables and fancy components inside some of my gear - also loads of custom made bits.
Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what counts as a "tweak." It seems like the only "un-tweaked" setup would be a needle taped to the inside of a rolled-up piece of paper :)

My setup feels like it's all been "tweaked," every last bit of it, if that means fiddled with, optimized through trial and error to sound as good as possible.

Maybe "tweak" is a pejorative used to refer to things you don't think make any difference? In that case, I have no tweaks, since everything in my system is there for a reason.

No funky fuses, £12k racks, or £100k power cables in my system... but lots of handmade interconnects, a BMU, a DC blocker... I even thought I heard a difference in soundstage presentation when I hooked all my Naim gear up to a Hydra power cable!
Adam
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

If it's non-OEM and you did it it's a tweak.

If you fiddle with it you are tweaking .

Tweakery is the inability to stop fiddling.

With many "audiophiles " tweaking can/does become an end in itself.

There is no known cure for tweakery.
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

As a strong believer that everything can be improved, and having no deference to the idea that what comes off an assembly line or out of a commercial shop is somehow sacred, I say bring on the tweaks. (The name of a lost MC5 record?) Also makes all this into a hobby...
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

But Joe, what about your custom built turntable and arm - do they qualify? And Si has done a bunch of mods to his turntable - do they not count?
Mark (100% Analogue)
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

YNWaN wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:32 pm But Joe, what about your custom built turntable and arm - do they qualify? And Si has done a bunch of mods to his turntable - do they not count?
I should have put a smilie after that post.

However

Si modded his deck....tweaking. ?...

I built my deck from scratch.....is that tweaking or just building a better mouse trap ?

Anyone seriously into hi-fi is a tweaker really...... as soon as you have to think about which interconnects/cables to buy you are walking down that road.

And you, Mark , left oodles of tweaks off your list....bucket loads of them. :D
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Joe... wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 am If it's non-OEM and you did it it's a tweak.

If you fiddle with it you are tweaking .

Tweakery is the inability to stop fiddling.

With many "audiophiles " tweaking can/does become an end in itself.

There is no known cure for tweakery.
Maybe deafness or death?
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Joe... wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm
YNWaN wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:32 pm But Joe, what about your custom built turntable and arm - do they qualify? And Si has done a bunch of mods to his turntable - do they not count?
I should have put a smilie after that post.

However

Si modded his deck....tweaking. ?...

I built my deck from scratch.....is that tweaking or just building a better mouse trap ?

Anyone seriously into hi-fi is a tweaker really...... as soon as you have to think about which interconnects/cables to buy you are walking down that road.

And you, Mark , left oodles of tweaks off your list....bucket loads of them. :D
Mark would be up all night compiling his list if he really gave it thought. He's done more tweaking, disguised as engineering, than most of us. All those sound cards with mods, speaker stands with Delrin and ball bearing decouplers, woofer braces, badges, diffraction rings, DC blocker, BMU, Hydra, speaker cabinet refurbishing, TT mats, custom TT bearings, lots of different cables/interconnects built from scratch, Speakon connector integration, super tweeter and mount, custom cases and/or parts for electronics and crossovers, record cleaner, reel to reel fixes, new tonearm design, a professional product for sale, and blah blah blah........ That's all my 70 year old brain can recall. Mark and Adam (Hifi) are the real tweakers/experimenters. The rest of us are just amateurs/adopters. No offense to pros like Paul, but he doesn't really tweak. He engineers and develops. Mark's ideas and improvements are widely copied and that surely extends far beyond this forum. Which he helped start and grow. That's a tweak. He may, in fact, be legendary in the NS-1000 worldwide community. Don't get a big head Mark. ;) Adam even tweaked his garage! Air conditioning and dedicated power in the garage! Shelves, cables, blah, blah.......... ad nauseum. And he's still number 2 on the list. Try harder Adam ;) Oh and they also buy the most records? Sort of like tweaking the source material. Tweaking=any attempt to improve the hobby for yourself. That includes new kit.
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

MTPapaDan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Maybe deafness or death?
At the DIY end of the hobby as most of us are it's harmless fun but I have personally known people who have remortgaged they homes to be able to buy the newest shiny must have trophy hifi piece....and keep buying the next one and only keeping that for no more than 6 months.
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Joe... wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 pm
MTPapaDan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Maybe deafness or death?
At the DIY end of the hobby as most of us are it's harmless fun but I have personally known people who have remortgaged they homes to be able to buy the newest shiny must have trophy hifi piece....and keep buying the next one and only keeping that for no more than 6 months.
Well if they do that when their deaf and/or dead, they are truly incurable tweakers. Same league as hoarders with a house full of junk they can't even walk through.