Proof that ‘audiophile’ fuses are worth the cost…?

Hi-Fi discussion
YNWaN
Site Admin

Proof that ‘audiophile’ fuses are worth the cost…?

Post by YNWaN »

Have a look at this:

https://mcru.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... Ypozj4fJ_M

This document purports to show (prove?), via measurement, that different makes of fuse vary in their resistance and also that their resistance differs depending on the direction in which they are fitted. Now this report has been generated by a maker of ‘audiophile fuses’ (I think) and is presented by a retailer so ones sceptic sense is already alerted. I would also say that, as far as I’m aware, there has never previously been any proof that cable directionality can be measured never mind a fuse.

So, thoughts?
Mark (100% Analogue)
reffc

Re: Proof that ‘audiophile’ fuses are worth the cost…?

Post by reffc »

I think that's quite funny :lol:

Resistance changes with direction? what a load of cobblers. At low ohms, even the position of the probe on ANY fuse will show some variation!

It can be proved in a nanosecond, at mains voltages, that any differences, if any at all, are completely utterly meaningless wrt power supply.

Fuses are designed to sustain up to a 13 Amp current at mains voltage, and depending on fuse type, some will wear out over time due to the heating cycle and basically burn out, whilst others may last a lot longer. If one is coming to the end of its useful life then it will have built up greater resistance to current than a new one, so the answer is simply replace fuses every 6 to 10 years. They're cheap. No fancy rip-off "tuning" fuses needed.
Just another industry shark being deliberately misleading and speaking in half truths.

Whatever it is made of, if it is passing more voltage than industry standard requirements for 13Amp plugs to the required BS standards, then it's possibly not even legal to fit it. You could wire a nail across the terminals and show that it has lower voltage drop than a 13A fuse, proving nothing more than you'd be a muppet to plug it in as the cable has then lost its protection.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

The conclusions are quite funny. One of them is that higher value fuses have less resistance than lower value ones! Well you don't need any measurement to know that thicker wire has less resistance than thin!
Mark (100% Analogue)
flatpopely
Site Admin

Post by flatpopely »

I used to always take such things with a pinch of salt, being an electronics engineering technician by trade.

Then a few years ago I heard differences in the music using two different mains cables. Mark was witness to it. Whilst I don't think fuses will make a difference, I never totally dismiss such things now.
Flat Earth rocks with PJC!

LP12/Ittok LVII (c/w Ivor T pixie dust) Tranquility/RubiKon/ASAKA/RadiKal
Topping D10 - Soundblaster X-Fi HD
SONY CDP 338ESD
Nakamichi 580 (RP53 Head)
SONY TC-K444esII
JVC AX-Z1010TN
Linn SARA (YNWAN bespoke build)
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

HiFi Tuning say ... HiFi Tuning fuses the best ... in fuse test shock result manufacturer declares their fuses test the best ...
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I've just been looking at the MCCRU site:

https://www.mcru.co.uk/?s=20mm+fuse&pos ... duct_cat=0

what worries me is that many people know absolutely nothing about fuses and don't even know why there are 35mm and 20mm fuses, never mind the difference between S and T ones. I also see that quite a few of these exotic fuses don't have the option of choosing their value and when they do the range is very small. for example, my amps take a T4A and they don't offer that, 3.15 and 5A being the closest.
Mark (100% Analogue)
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

Wow, the 100mOhm difference those fuses make is equal to an entire 0.2v mains voltage fluctuation. Holy 5hit.

Simon who's mains varies +/-5v during a single day.
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
reffc

Post by reffc »

Another great point Simon. I have one customer whose diurnal mains fluctuation is a whopping 10V!

The rating of standard fuses in kit are there for a very good reason. Some are rated as they are in either slow or quick blow varieties to protect the circuit against surges from current inrush for example, so over rating them may not be a great idea, although it's hard to see what they might hurt unless the design was suspect in the first place. Then there's the issue of protecting the circuit against a fault to earth or similar. Uprating fuses isn't especially a wise thing.

I think that when it comes to mains, it's best to leave well alone. It's out of the audio signal path so cannot have any bearing on signal quality and only if a kettle lead and fused plug which are technically under rated for the kit's designed draw are used will any resistance, lost as heat, become an issue which might very subtly affect sound through limiting some of the instant power draw needed...again, a decent power supply is usually designed with enough reserves to cope with such things, so I'm more convinced than not, that any obvious differences heard are down to defective leads or fuses (in the first place) or defective power supply and filter designs.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

I was about to write that the most expensive fuses are £150.00 each but a quick check of the 'What's Best' forum has revealed this:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ ... 53/page-27

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/data/att ... 7806a9.jpg

USD400.00 each
Mark (100% Analogue)
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Erm.... this is the 'specification' for the £150.00 Synergistic Research orange fuse:

Specification
1/ Fuse Size: 25.4mm
2/ Fuse Rating: 13A
3/ Ceramic Body
4/ Silica Filled
5/ Brass Nickel Plated Contacts
6/ 1,000,000 volt multi-stage, high-frequency conditioning process
7/ 2nd Stage Rev. 2.0 Molecular realignment process
8/ Directional
9/ UEF Compound first developed for Galileo SX PowerCell
10/ Graphene
Recommended use with UK Mains Plugs
Warranty: 12 Months

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/synergisti ... YSEALw_wcB

So 1 to 5 just as accurately describe a standard Bussman fuse at a few pence each. The rest of the points are just unsubstantiated statements or techno sounding gobbledygook
Mark (100% Analogue)