£12k Racks

Post by ChrisOH1 »

This must be among the more expensive options :shock:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads ... el.254603/
YNWaN
Site Admin

Re: £12k Racks

Post by YNWaN »

Yeah, I've encountered these stands before - they are made by the same people who make the Monaco DD turntable (now two versions). They are very like a fancy material version of the Sound Factory stands I use.

There are some super crazy expensive stands out there.
Mark (100% Analogue)
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

It looks like the manufacturing costs of that rack is around £300-£400 all in. Outsourcing the machining I would think I could get it made for under £1000. *
£12,000 seems a little high.

* looking at it again....probably much less.
sq225917

Post by sq225917 »

The carbon sections on each level would be expensive, especially getting them made to a high quality finish level. If they are foam shapes, wrapped, then not so expensive, maybe £500 each lacquered with no pinholes. if they are moulded and hollow, then add 10k for the tooling.

The rest of it would be buttons.
Paradise phonostage, benz lp, kuzma stabi s 12
Bpbp, nuerochrome mod86p bridged monos
Yamaha ns100m, quarter cut Oak veneer, raal 140-15d ribbons
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

They also did optional full CF shelves. In the picture the top shelf is this but the others are the standard acrylic. I must say that, for me, the whole is surprisingly ugly. In terms of technical design it really isn’t anything very special but, as Si says, it may well be expensive to manufacture - though without any real benefit.
Mark (100% Analogue)
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

If you want full crazy expensive I suspect that the range made by Oswald Mill Audio will do it for you:

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/racks

I can’t even find a price for any of these but OMA are exceedingly pricy.
Mark (100% Analogue)
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

YNWaN wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:28 pm If you want full crazy expensive I suspect that the range made by Oswald Mill Audio will do it for you:

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/racks

I can’t even find a price for any of these but OMA are exceedingly pricy.
I've seen those cast metal racks used as shop fittings in , I think, the Hugo Boss shop...was a few years back now. ...so I imagine that there are a commercial available "off the shelf" * casting

* ( terrible pun )
ChrisOH1

Post by ChrisOH1 »

Hipster HiFi :D

I do like the look of their TT though and the idea of rotating the armboard to set overhang. How can I bodge that is my immediate thought :D

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/anatase

As Simon points out tooling costs can be prohibitive but why go to the extreme of doing so to produce something with a material just because you can or is CF as a shelf material useful?
reffc

Post by reffc »

I stick to heavily made wooden stands. Mine cost me £425 to make all in from solid Oak, walnut and some fancy spikes/cups and sorbothane cushioned feet.

Very effective about isolating plinths from vibration and all you need unless going overboard onto constrained panel damped surfaces which is where it starts getting really expensive (although there are cheap ways of doing this). Anyone looking to make one is welcome to contact me for the design and some simple home tools are all that's needed.
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

ChrisOH1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:11 pm

As Simon points out tooling costs can be prohibitive but why go to the extreme of doing so to produce something with a material just because you can or is CF as a shelf material useful?
The rack on PFM is mainly acrylic shelves and they are cheap and easy to make.