Hearing loss

Non Hi-Fi or music topics
MTPapaDan

Hearing loss

Post by MTPapaDan »

Well it's now official. I did lose hearing in my left ear via Covid. It's fairly significant. More than 20 Dbs. Worst at higher frequencies. Doctor says that's normal with hearing loss. I have a new hearing aid. It is very strange to hear on that side again. After a week I don't notice much until I take it out to recharge overnight. Suddenly I then feel deaf on that side. Doctor says that's normal too. It's an Opticon Opn S model. https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing- ... icon-opn-s

Music sounds right again!!!
hifiaf

Re: Hearing loss

Post by hifiaf »

Sorry to hear this, Dan, but really happy to hear you've found a solution!

Incidentally, my hearing has been wonky for the past week and a half. Most likely a sinus/ear infection, mostly affecting one ear, and is now improving. But I'll have to look into Covid and hearing loss and hope that's not what's happened. It's no fun not being able to enjoy music...
Adam
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Thanks Adam. The doctor said hearing loss is usually connected to a high fever over 102. I don't recall being that feverish, but I was so out of it who knows. Sincerely hope you only have a simple cold.
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Dan mate, you have been in the wars :(. As I said in another thread, I’m hoping these Covid related problems you have will go away over time - perhaps the doctor agrees?

On the plus side, the hearing aid does look like a fancy bit of gear!
Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

A visit to the doctor's this morning confirms that... I just had a bunch of wax in both ears. Let's see if this turns out to be an even bigger system upgrade than external crossovers :)

It's awful to hear about these health complications, though, Dan. It's been well over a year since you had Covid, correct? Such a mysterious virus, still, and the long-term effects are scary. Glad you're getting treatment and seeing some improvement. And yes -- high quality in-ear amplification helps! Now if only Si could miniaturize the four-box Paradise and fit it in your ear...
Adam
MTPapaDan

Post by MTPapaDan »

Unfortunately, the hearing loss will be permanent. Some nerve damage. The hearing aid is certainly a vast improvement! Best part is the VA pays for it: accessories and all.