New record day

A place to discuss the music we like or hate!
hifiaf

New record day

Post by hifiaf »

It seems like we need a new thread to celebrate and share our most recent purchases :)

I picked these up yesterday at Rotate This, my favourite local record store. (You order on the phone and they have it ready for you for curbside pickup when you arrive. Apparently business is doing relatively well despite the pandemic.)

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... 03832.jpeg

PJ Harvey, Dry - Demos https://pjharvey.kontraband.store/products/dry-demos-lp

PJ Harvey and John Parish, Dance Hall at Louse Point http://pjharvey.net/dance-hall-at-louse ... lable-now/

PJ Harvey is reissuing all her albums, most (or all?) with separate discs of demos.

These are both pressed on heavy, quiet vinyl, with nice thick card sleeves. Flatter than the usual new purchase: Dry Demos totally flat, Dance Hall with a slight, inaudible warp.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

The Dry Demos were featured recently by Will in the Track of the Day. I am totally unfamiliar with PJ Harvey, having somehow missed all her stuff despite being an angsty teen in the 90s and listening to lots of similar music. (Mrs. Hifiaf went to several PJH shows as a teen, much better taste than me.) Anyway, I have no nostalgic connection to the original early classic albums, and indeed the production turns me off just a bit and feels a bit dated. But wow, these Demos sound amazing to my ear. I wasn't expecting much from an SQ perspective, since these are... demos, and recorded and engineered by PJH for her debut album, where brilliant audiophile engineering can't have been at the top of the priority list. Nevertheless, they sound pretty great, acoustic guitars often supplemented by great sounding electric guitar and (more fun) violins and other unexpected instruments. If you know the songs, you'll know they're great.

Dance Hall at Louse Point is more to my taste than the earlier-90s records. At times it feels almost like a Sonic Youth album of that vintage (which is what I was listening to in the 90s, so I really should have been listening to this too!). Experimental, a bit challenging, angular, confrontational. The production is straight up brilliant on this one: it's polished and sharp. (I haven't heard the original, of course, but I can't imagine it sounding much better than this.) John Parish produced those Aldous Harding records I love and its clear he knew what he was doing even in the late 90s.
Adam
Nobeone

Re: New record day

Post by Nobeone »

:D
Nobeone

Post by Nobeone »

So here I am "at work" (home office obvs) with my rpi zero w / justboom digi zero phat / mojo / modified grado sr325s happily "working" my way through her back catalogue, thanks for the excuse Adam! While I have much of her early work, original releases, on LP, it just isn't possible to "work" and play those right now, so Spotify it is.

A tip of the hat to Mrs hifiaf who has done better than me at seeing PJ live, despite me being a west country lad going to plenty of gigs in the UK at the right time ...
VTA

Post by VTA »

FOPS - Yeth Yeth Yeth. Fops are a band with connections to Thee More Shallows which I am on a bit of an addicted kick to at present. Not played yet, not even looked, hope its in good shape!

CD is Album Lifeline by Jesu. The sort of shoegaze drone I play all too often.
Link for those who might be similarly afflicted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJyhtyV3bC0

https://www.gevenalle.com/wp-content/up ... G_2223.jpg
LP12/VP Revolution/Prefix/Hicap/Supernait/Kudos X2, ProAc 1sc’s
Troika, Karma, Klyde, Asaka, Asak, OC9ML/II, 33PTG/II, DL103R
Javelin, LV/II, PU3, 774, RB600, RB300 Modified Excalibur
Roon, NUC, Aries Mini w/Teddy Pardo PSU, DC1, NDac w/Teddy Pardo XPS
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Mark (100% Analogue)
VTA

Post by VTA »

https://www.gevenalle.com/wp-content/up ... G_2227.jpg

Newish LP 'Serpentine Prison' from singer from 'The National' Matt Berninger. Being a National fan I have been listening to this lots on Tidal and sprung for LP. I will have to do some A/B vs digital file as sounded very different to Tidal last night on first listen. Thought it sounded a bit flat and lifeless by comparison with Tidal but with a bit more time am thinking just mastered differently and a more thoughtful and mellow mix. Loving it.

And very very happy to get this copy of 'Book of Bad Breaks' from Thee More Shallows. Really hooked on this and sadly I discovered this band years after they had disbanded.

LP12/VP Revolution/Prefix/Hicap/Supernait/Kudos X2, ProAc 1sc’s
Troika, Karma, Klyde, Asaka, Asak, OC9ML/II, 33PTG/II, DL103R
Javelin, LV/II, PU3, 774, RB600, RB300 Modified Excalibur
Roon, NUC, Aries Mini w/Teddy Pardo PSU, DC1, NDac w/Teddy Pardo XPS
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

As I mentioned, I've been reading Jimmy McDonough's incredible Neil Young bio Shakey, and rediscovering the music in the process. My mom recently gave me her first Canadian pressings of the debut and After the Goldrush, both in reasonable shape, and they both sound great after cleaning (especially Goldrush). But I noticed my recent reissue of On the Beach sounded leaps and bounds better than either, and I noticed it had the "Neil Young Archives Original Release Series" label on the back.

Well, typical Neil, he's a control freak and a sound nut (I hesitate to say "audiophile"), and all his reissues sound absolutely insanely good (they're also totally flat and dead quiet).

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... G_5686.jpg

I picked up two today, and they're two of the best-sounding rock/folk records in my collection. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is an amazing album, so to hear it like this is a real thrill. Homegrown was unreleased in 1975 and just came out this year -- a true "lost album" and a total classic.

I'll be buying all the Neil Young albums I don't already own in the Original Release Series reissues -- totally stunning.

Lots of ways in to Neil, but if you're coming at him from the punk/post-punk direction that I am, I'd recommend On the Beach (especially side 2), Tonight's the Night, Everybody Knows, and Zuma as starting points.
Adam
YNWaN
Site Admin

Post by YNWaN »

Mark (100% Analogue)
hifiaf

Post by hifiaf »

I've been on a bit of a tear lately. My recent promotion came with a pay raise, and as a deeply immature person I have taken this as license to buy a bunch of records. This isn't *quite* as bad as it seems -- this is what I've picked up in the last month and a half or so -- but... it's a lot of records.

https://www.hifiaf.com/wp-content/uploa ... 04118.jpeg

I got the Abbey Road and White album "Super Deluxe" sets before they sell out. The Escher Demos that come with the White Album are unmissable. The bonus tracks with the Abbey Road aren't anything special, but the German pressing of the main album in this set is much better than the noisy US pressing I've been listening to. This is not an album to compromise on for me.

Quite a bit of Bob Dylan: his newest album, the New York acoustic version of Blood on the Tracks, a live set from the 1966 tour... all essential, all great sounding.

Lots and lots of Neil Young. These Neil Young Archives pressings are totally stunning sound-wise and I'm a huge Neil fan, so again I wanted to snap up what I could before they went out of print.

Same with the PJ Harvey albums. Get these while you can. Super heavy, flat vinyl, beautiful jackets, and staggering sound quality.

I've become a big Big Thief fan over the last couple of months. I already had their albums UFOF and Two Hands and Adrianne Lencker's solo Songs and Instrumentals. I liked those enough to get their first two studio albums and another Lenker solo record. I'm still processing them -- only got them a couple of days ago -- but so far I'm pretty blown away. I think like the albums (Masterpiece and Capacity) even more than the other two, and they also sound terrific (great drum and guitar sounds on Capacity especially).
Adam
Joe...

Post by Joe... »

Adam......do you have the Record Day official release of The New York Sessions ?

I had the bootleg of the NYS's for years but it was a fairly dreadful copy.

I leapt upon the Record Day issue when it came out....I totally love BOTT's and now have all the various copies of it including the More Blood More Tracks that you have.
Last edited by Joe... on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.